A collection of WIPs of this:
I treated this picture as an experiment. What I mean is, I wanted to try out various different styles of working and comparing them. Sadly, the other ways of working, didn't work for me. I still tried out afew different and new things, some worked rather well.Lineart
Scan of the sketch, unedited.
Edited canvas size, drew basic lineart - what I usually do for simple pieces.
Basic lineart over everything. This is what I usually do for most of my current work. I only do lineart for the main subjects, not on things like the scenery.
Went over EVERYTHING. To be more exact, what I did differently from normal is that I added the cross hatching into my lineart. This is not something I usually do because in previous experiences it has taken up more time than I thought it was worth.Lyra Part
Painted a quick BG and blocked in Lyra's colour in a single layer, set to multiply.
Added darks and some lights.
Took a blue colour to add depths to the dark sections, and a bit of yellow onto the light sections.Helmet + Armour
Started working on the helmet and neck. At this point I had forgotten about the tiny bit of helmet to the left.
Created a new layer, filled it with black and set it to saturation. I use this to quickly check my values. Truth be told, I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing, but it helps point out any obvious things. I chose to finish the picture first, then worry about editing values. I thought this was the better choice rather than spending forever on the same point.
Focused on the rest of the armour. I wasn't too happy with how things were turning out though. I couldn't get the lights light enough. Which lead me to...
Creating a new layer, set to overlay. I've never really experiemented that much with layers, I don't know why. I suppose it's because I haven't had much success with those experiements. This time, however, I was very pleased with my results. Added more light to the armour, and touched up some of Lyra's face.Cigarette + Hair
Did base colour, plus darks and some lights in multiply layer (like what I usually do), then went into overlay layer and added some base colour ontop, plus some lights. Also did a little bit of smoke from the cigarette.
I'm not too happy with how the hair turned out. I struggle with lightly coloured hair.
Did the eyes. All done in the multiply layer, apart from the eye highlight which was done in a new, normal, layer.Magic
I wasn't sure how I wanted to do the magic effect, so I created a new layer, set to overlay, and started playing around.
Another layer, set to overlay, where I further played around with painting the lights.
Added the flame from the lighter, and did some general touch ups - most of which aren't that noticeable.
Turned on my saturation layer from earlier to see how things were looking. Really, I don't know what to do next, so I just call it quits. I feel it needs something and some more work done, but I don't know what.
For more detailed (read: rambling) notes, please visit my tumblr.
Original scan : [link]
Colouring Lyra: [link]
Everything else: [link]
Finished picture on tumblr: [link]
This collection of WIPs on my tumblr: [link]
If you have any questions, feel free to ask them and I'll try to answer them as best as I can!
Thanks for looking.